Education program management
- Developing multi-year education strategy, detailed programme activities, procurement and work plans on a monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual basis.
- Participate in the design and implementation of education minimum standards, technical frameworks, programs and activities to ensure planned results and goals are achieved.
- Evaluate and develop improved techniques for the management and control of education operations.
- Manage and oversee national advocacy efforts in the area of education in collaboration with other Coordinators.
- Design high quality concept notes and proposals for resource mobilisation calls in education and ensures that education interventions are informed by and integrated with other programme areas of Outreach, Livelihood and WASH.
- Prepare education monthly financial forecasts to facilitate efficient and effective implementation of the education program.
- Monitor the performance of the department budget and analyse its variance performance
- Provide quality technical support to Coordinating Centre Tutors, supported school directors, SMCs/BOGs and head teachers
Oversee and maintain the Education database, generate and disseminate summaries and report tracking systems in line with the education policies and procedures to stakeholders (to include Management, Schools, DEO’s)
- Ensure accurate and up to date information in the Education database.
- In collaboration with MEL team, keeps track on the outcomes, indicators, milestones and targets in the education framework and strategic plan.
- Work with MEL to develop quality TORs for evaluations, baselines and research
Liaison and support
- Working with the Coordinators, establish and maintain effective working relationship with local government officials, local communities, schools (Directors, Head teachers SMCs/BOGs), civil society organisations and other influential stakeholders to promote long term sustainable Education solutions.
- Represent FOL and contribute to technical and co - ordination meetings hosted by other Education players as may be required
- Participate in commemoration of International and National sector celebration days and community and school events
- Liaise and attend meetings with other departments necessary to perform duties and aid in organizational development.
- Communicate accurate and complete information to stakeholders.
- Ensure timely responses and follow-up to education related inquiries
Supervise, appraise and build capacity of Education officers in line with organization policies; enhancing the relevant knowledge and skills.
- Agree on staff performance deliverables and sign a performance agreement plan with the department staff.
- Have annual/bi-annual/monthly individual work plans drawn and agreed upon.
- Monitor the staff appraisal schedules and follow up, at minimum carrying out midterm and annual appraisal with each staff
- Plan and arrange for the unit monthly update and planning meetings in the department.
- Identify training needs and take appropriate action
Reporting and Coordination
- Build capacity of officers in report writing and support them to ensure timely reporting.
- Work with the Head of Programmes to ensure that each project receives adequate and regular support supervision from the Officers.
- Produce high quality documentation, including stories of change, on education interventions aiming at programme modelling, replication and scaling up.
- Facilitate organisational learning in the region by developing, collecting and disseminating relevant internal and external programme information on education.
- Submit timely and quality activity reports
- Consolidate the monthly, quarterly and annual education reports and submit to the Head of Programmes
Adhere to FOL’s child protection policy and code of conduct.
- Prevent, identify, report and respond to child protection issues
- Allocate adequate resources to child protection initiatives
Risk management: Responsible for identification and management of Education risks including maintaining an updated departmental risk register.
Gender: Mainstream gender in Education plans and activities and promote a gender sensitive environment across the department.
Christian Outreach: Live out the Christian faith in words and actions and support FOL staff, partners and supported communities including children to get deeper understanding and appreciation of the role of faith in development.
Environmental Protection: Champion environmental protection initiatives in all FOL’s education programmes
Key Results Areas:
- Up-to-date Education framework/strategy
- Work plans and budgets for education programme activities.
- Timely and quality programme/project reports
- Active participation in Education Networks
- Fundable Education proposals developed and submitted
Qualifications, Experience & Personal Attributes needed to meet the demands of the role (required/desired):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or other humanities
- Post Graduate qualification in Education,Project Planning and Management or Monitoring and Evaluation is an added advantage
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in Education programme design, implementation, M&E, research and policy, and strategy development.
- At least 3 years’ experience in teaching as added advantage
- In-depth knowledge of the development sector and demonstrable knowledge of education programming, especially on Primary Education, Early Childhood Care, Early Grade Learning interventions, teacher’s training and participatory school governance.
- Knowledge of using Information, Communication, Technology for Development (ICT4D) methodologies into education programming.
Personal attributes – Interpersonal skills, focused and self-motivated, high integrity and honesty.