Employment category: Standard
Reporting to: Project Manager-NURI
Direct reports: None Unit/department: Programme
Authorization level: None
Overall purpose of the role:
The Regional Manager manages all aspects of DRC’s rural infrastructure development project in the districts implementing NURI project in the sub region. These includes program management as well as financial and administrative responsibility for the projects.
The Regional Project Manager will be based in DRC Arua office and will represents the in the districts for questions related directly to this project and thus in close coordination with the NURI Project Manager based in Arua. He/she has the direct responsibility for the management, implementation and is also responsible for the planning and implementation of adequate security precautions within the program area to ensure the safety of all staff and assets. The Regional Project Manager directly supervises DRC’s program in the districts and support staff based in the field office.
• Oversee and conduct strategic planning and development of DRC program in the participating districts.
• Develop annual, bi-annual and quarterly project work plans and corresponding budgets for the infrastructure projects being implemented in the districts.
• Supervise proper and timely implementation of infrastructure projects in consultation with donors, district authorities and technical staff, and other stakeholders, and according to agreed policies and donor requirements.
• Supervise relevant beneficiary data collection and relevant assessments in the project area.
• Prepare regular required donor reports as per agreed formats and to the highest quality required.
• Provide feedback to the management on general policy matters, program activities and external relations to NURI Manager in Arua and Head of Programs in Kampala, based on agreed formats and schedules.
• Provide input for the continued further development of DRC in the region.
• Together with the program team and head of programs identify opportunities for further development in the region.
Financial, Administration, Logistics and HR Management
• Responsible for the management of the infrastructure project budget, financial management including timely expenditure control, budget follow ups and reports in consultation with head of finance and administration.
• Responsible in ensuring DRC financial procedures, guidelines and corruption control is maintained in the field offices.
• Responsible for ensuring adherence to the correct Procurement and Logistical procedures in the field offices.
• Directly responsible for supervising the senior staff in the districts.
• Responsible for recruitment, planning and leading recruitment of required field staff in consultation with the HR department.
• Responsible for staff development including target setting, performance appraisal, early identification and timely addressing of HR issues in the field offices.
Monitoring and Evaluation
• In consultation with the M and E Officer based in Kampala set up data bases in all the field offices and ensure that they are operational throughout the project period
• Ensure that GPS coordinates for all the project locations are captured and used for producing maps showing project sites
• Support Coordination Function and DRC, M and E Units in mobilizing communities during mini and monitoring surveys
• Contribute to the daily quality implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects and interventions.
• Identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on implementation of project’s action points
• Participate in quarterly OPM, District and Sub county monitoring and project reviews and evaluations.
• Ensure quality data collection, analysis and storage in line with NURI Information requirements
• Prepare regular required Donor reports as per agreed formats and to the highest quality required (E.g monthly Highlights, quarterly and Annual reports).
• In consultation with the Grants Manager and the NURI project Manager, ensure timely financial reporting to donor
• On request, perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimally
Essential Experience and technical competencies:
• 5 years of post-graduate relevant work experience;
• 3 years of relevant work experience from a least-developed country. Relevant experience from 3 projects in a similar position;
• Relevant experience with Rural Infrastructure, Water Resource Management or similar works programmes.
• Relevant experience with labor-intensive and community-based rural infrastructure
• Relevant experience working with refugee communities as well as host communities
• Experience in working with donor funded projects or International Non‐Governmental organizations.
• A good team-player
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent analytical and negotiation skills.
• Proven commitment to accountability practices.
• Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with limited supervision
• Knowledge of computers: word processing and database management packages.
A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Development Studies, Business Administration or similar
Find the definition of DRC’s Core competencies here
All DRC staff should master the 5 core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
• Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
• Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values
Proficiency in English (written and spoken) is essential.
Knowledge of one or more of the local languages widely spoken in the covered districts,preferably Alur, Lugbara, Luo and Madi.
• DRC staff members in CO and Field
• Government officials
Last updated: (date and name)
To apply please send your CV and cover letter with 3 work related referees to the address or e-mail below.
E-mails that exceed 2MB will not be considered.
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.