CivSource is a privately held consulting practice, based in Kampala Uganda, whose mission is to “refine the practice and footprint of philanthropy in Africa”. Our goals are to support and mediate relationships between donors and African civil society; to promote philanthropy that is well-informed and responsive to the needs of African civil society, while meeting donor requirements; and to support efforts of strengthening the capacity and effectiveness of African civil society organizations.
CivSource hires, promotes and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by CivSource’s service needs and business requirements. CivSource welcomes individuals with diverse experience and backgrounds.
The Associate supports CivSource’s programming to strengthen civil society and philanthropy in Uganda. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, but will involve travel throughout Uganda.
Reports to Jacqueline Asiimwe, Chief Executive Officer
Location Kampala, Uganda
Status Full Time
• Provide input, support, and monitoring to CivSource clients on their programming;
• Conduct due diligence and site visits for current and prospective grant recipient organizations; monitor NGOs’ activities and use of funds; evaluate organizational performance; report findings and recommendations through regular updates and meetings;
• Research and make recommendations to clients about issue areas of interest;
• Provide updates on current events that may have an impact on programs;
• Engage and network with donors and NGOs working in relevant fields; attend relevant forums, meetings and conferences;
• Support the planning and coordination of meetings, technical assistance provision, trainings and convenings;
• Support partner organizations to ensure completion and submission of their applications and reports; communicate grant information to partner organizations;
• Support clients in planning and executing site visits to local partners in Uganda; and
• Perform related duties as requested and as needs evolve.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
• 7+ years professional experience working in human rights or international development in Uganda, including experience working with Ugandan civil society organizations;
• University degree required; graduate degree preferred;
• Ability to work across a range of programmatic issue areas; specific experience in the areas of human rights, women’s rights, reproductive health, and/or children’s education preferred;
• Prior experience with grantmaking and/or organizational development a plus;
• Excellent English oral and written communications skills and analytic abilities required, knowledge of local languages;
• Initiative, resourcefulness, and flexibility—ability to work independently;
• Demonstrated commitment to human rights and social justice;
• Ability to travel within Uganda and internationally; and
• Ability to handle confidential client information with complete discretion.
To apply for this role, please submit an application to email@example.com. Subject Line: “[Your name]— ASSOCIATE.” All applications must include:
• a résumé;
• a thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity (i.e., job portal, referral, etc.),why you think you are suitable for the job, and your salary requirement (you must specify an actual amount and range); and
• one writing sample (No less than 3 and no more than 5 pages No phone calls please.