Kisubi High School is a day and boarding school that provides an outstanding education for boys and girls where each child is developed as an individual in a caring and well-resourced environment.
Reports to: Head teacher, with strategic support from the Operations Director
Summary and Purpose:
The Operations Officer is:
• The lead support staff professional and is responsible for the operations of the school, working as part of the Senior Leadership Team to assist the Head Teacher in his/her duty to ensure that the school meets its educational aims.
• Responsible for the financial, administration, human resources, procurement, facility, property and health, safety and security management of the school.
• Responsible for providing professional leadership and management of the operational team (bursar, assistant bursar, secretaries, site supervisor, cleaners, cooks, grounds staff and security guards).
• Ensures high standards, transparency and accountability within the financial, administrative and facilities management and strategically ensures the most effective use of resources in support of the school’s learning objectives.
They will be expected to be an exceptional and committed leader, fostering a positive working culture at all times and creating a child-centred approach in all elements of school life.
Areas of Responsibility and Key Tasks
Leadership and management
• Lead and performance manage a team of operations staff and directly manage the bursar, site supervisor, driver and secretaries.
• Support the bursar to manage the accounts assistant and the site supervisor to manage the cooks, cleaners, ground staff and security guards.
• Build a team of continually improving and professional specialists.
• Lead sessions of continuous professional development (CPD) when delegated to do so.
• Attend and actively participate in Senior Leadership Team meetings.
• Ensure all staff are provided with effective performance management.
• Develop positive working relationships with and between all staff.
• Sustain personal and staff motivation.
• Advise on financial policy and strategy and provide input to the development of the long-term financial strategy of the school.
• Develop and ensure implementation of processes and procedures to ensure effective financial controls are implemented to safeguard the organisations resources.
• Ensure the asset register is updated and verified on regular basis.
• In consultation with senior and middle leaders, prepare a realistic annual budget for the school.
• Monitor performance against budget ensuring remedial action is taken where necessary.
• Ensure monthly financial reports are prepared via the school’s QuickBooks software.
• Ensure an external audit of the school’s finances takes place annually and ensure any subsequent recommendations are actioned.
• Oversee the fees collection process and ensure fees are collected in a timely fashion
• Ensure the school meets its statutory tax obligations.
• Notify the Operations Director and Head Teacher immediately if any fraudulent activities are suspected or uncovered.
• Ensure effective, open and transparent procurement processes are in place for the purchasing of good and services
• Oversee and monitor contracts with all suppliers. Ensure effective quality assurance processes are in place and make adjustments to suppliers and/ or as necessary.
• Ensure effective and up to date stock control procedures are in place and a regularly monitored.
• Manage the whole school administrative function.
• Design and maintain administrative systems that deliver outcomes based on the school’s aims and goals
• Ensure the school has an up to date student database, containing relevant bio data for all students.
• Establish and use effective methods to review and improve administrative systems.
• Be responsible, in conjunction with the Head Teacher, for the ICT and internet systems at the school.
Human Resource Management
• Oversee the payroll services for all school staff.
• Ensure staff HR policies (including recruitment, discipline, leave) are adhered to, are up to date and comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
• Ensure all staff have a clear understanding of the policies and procedures and the importance of putting them into practice. Offer support to school leaders in implementation of these policies where required.
• Seek and make use of specialist expertise in relation to HR issues
Facility & Property Management
• Manage the maintenance of the school site including the purchase and repair of all
furniture and fittings.
• Ensure a safe environment for the stakeholders of the school to provide a secure environment in which boarding and due learning processes can be provided.
• Ensure the continuing availability of utilities, site services and equipment.
• Follow sound practices in estate management and grounds maintenance.
• Manage the letting of school premises to external organisations.
• Seek professional advice on insurance and advise the SLT on appropriate insurances for the school and implement and manage such schemes accordingly.
• Ensure students are provided with a varied and well-prepared menu.
Health, Safety and Security
• Act as the school’s Health & Safety Co-ordinator and Fire Officer.
• Chair the school’s health and safety committee and ensure the school’s health and safety policy is adhered to, is up to date and complies with legal and regulatory requirements.
• Plan, instigate and maintain records of fire evacuation practices.
• Ensure systems are in place to enable the identification of hazards and risk assessments.
• Ensure the maximum level of security consistent with the ethos of the school and ensure any security breaches are dealt with promptly and recorded.
Other Professional Requirements
• Uphold the vision and values of Kisubi High School at all times.
• Operate at all times within the stated policies and practices of the school.
• Take a child centred approach to all aspects of school life.
• Establish effective working relationships and set a good example through your presentation and personal and professional conduct.
• Co-operate with other staff to ensure the sharing and effective usage of resources to the benefit of the school and students.
• Take part in marketing and stakeholder engagement activities such as parents’ meetings, and all other events and activities as required by the school leadership.
• Work with the Student Council and the prefects to seek student feedback on all areas of your work, including the menu and health and safety issues.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified. Staff will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
This post is subject to the policies and procedures of the Government of Uganda and of Kisubi High School. This job description may be reviewed at the end of the academic year or earlier if necessary. In addition, it may be amended at any time after consultation with you.
Knowledge and experience
• Bachelor Degree
• Working experience in accounting
• An evidenced track record of senior business management, preferably in a school setting.
• Knowledge and experience of financial and budgeting management systems and procedures
• Knowledge and experience of managing procurement contracts for services
• Up to date knowledge of legal requirements in Ugandan in relation to school operations (including, HR, finances and health and safety)
• Experience of facilities management
• An understanding, gained through direct experience, of the challenges and demands of the coeducational secondary boarding environment
• Proven experience of leading high performing teams
• ICT skills, including Excel and financial software (preferably QuickBooks).
• Experience as a school business manager
• Membership of a professional body
• Ability to foster a positive working culture and to enthuse and engage colleagues across the whole school community.
• Able to make sound financial judgments and to secure value for money
• Ability to develop and maintain a secure, safe and healthy school environment for all staff and students
• Proven ability to devise and implement strategy and monitor and evaluate data and plans.
• Outstanding people leadership skills, with a willingness to delegate meaningfully and an understanding of how to create the conditions in which others can grow, develop and succeed.
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong commercial awareness
• Able to work under pressure and to meet all deadlines
• Enthusiasm for and commitment to the achievement of Kisubi High School’s overall vision and approach, including to child centred learning and behaviour for learning.
• Willingness to work hard.
• Flexible, adaptable, results orientated and able to prioritise, resilient under pressure.
• Able to provide financial references and/ or criminal/ fraud clearance.
• Commitment to own Continued Professional Development
To apply please send your CV and cover letter with 3 work related referees to the address or e-mail below.
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
Kazi jobs website