A local NGO that looks at empowering impoverished African women enabling them to lead more healthy, productive, and satisfying lives is looking at recruiting a Mental Health Officer/ Trainer.
Supervisor: Executive Director
Duty Station: Kampala Office
Job Purpose / General Objective:
The MHO role is to manage and coordinate the implementation of training and clinical capacity needs for technical teams in Mental Health, Interpersonal Psychotherapy in Groups (IPT-G) in the organisation in Uganda. The MHO will lead the technical capacity development of the organisation's key program teams, partner institutions, and work with all key stakeholders to ensure that the organisation conducts its services within the updated Mental Health realm, depression and all emerging knowledge and skill developments. S/he will participate in ensuring organisation compliance to quality service provision, service utilization, and good clinical practice. The MHO will report to the Executive Director.
a. The MHO/Trainer will be responsible for all the organisation's training and capacity development needs including Mental Health, depression, and any other which would improve staff efficiency and effectiveness.
b. Lead in the development of appropriate training materials, curricula, and related tools in respect to the organisation’s needs and the growing program.
c. Suggest and recommend appropriate training methods, techniques and tools to properly design and deliver training courses suitable for program needs.
d. Lead the organisation's staff in preparation of appropriate curriculum, budgets and programs in respect to their needs.
e. Follow up all trained teams and in clinical fidelity for the organisation and partners to assess application of acquired knowledge and skills.
f. Participate in the preparation of key reports and information on the organisation’s depression treatment for sharing with key stakeholders.
g. Ensure that all training needs are implemented timely and as per the required Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs).
h. Support all supervisors and managers in enlisting the training needs of their respective staff.
2. Training Network & Partnership Development
a. Working in collaboration with the Program Manager and Executive Director, liaise with national and regional Mental Health Training Networks to continuously gather best practices and new tools and update program training needs.
b. Lead in evaluating the appropriateness of the organisation's training methodologies and recommend appropriate effective strategies for all its projects.
c. Support the organisation’s outreach to partner agencies and lead training and capacity development with external partners.
a. Participate in regular staff debriefs to understand emerging challenges and take corrective steps through training and induction; provide clinical support supervision as needed.
b. Spend at least 25% level of effort in the field working with staff to understand the flow of organisation’s IPT-G process, client, field dynamics and any other necessary parameters.
c. Prepare monthly work plans and share with the Executive Director, Program Manager, and Finance and Administration Manager for implementation.
e. Submit monthly activity reports to the Executive Director using agreed upon templates.
f. Perform any other duties that may be assigned to you by the Executive Director and in coordination with the Mental Health Advisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology, Psychiatry, or related.
• A Post-Graduate Diploma in Mental Health Counseling and/or psychotherapy or counseling for depression will be an advantage.
• At least 5 years’ experience in training and teaching, experience training and supervising para-professionals and/or in clinical settings is a plus.
• Strong familiarity with psychotherapy methods, familiarity with interpersonal psychotherapy a plus.
• Proven abilities in creating and improving training curricula, learning aids and tools, and other related materials.
• Ability to monitor technical developments in the psychology field and integrate learning into practice.
• Experience in results-oriented project management, partnership-building and networking is a requirement.
• Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
• The applicant should be computer literate with good knowledge of major computer packages that enable him/her to accomplish his role with minimum support.
• Previous work in the NGO sector and with vulnerable populations, especially those affected by depression and mental health disorders.
• Demonstrated flexibility to adapt to changing program requirements and client needs.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter with 3 work related referees to the e-mail below. Your application should be marked as “Mental Health Officer.”
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
Kazi jobs website