Location: Uganda office
Reports to: Country Representative
Responsibility for: Driver, Office Assistant, and Interns and Volunteers supporting with financial and administrative duties.
Purpose: To provide financial and administrative support to the Country Representative and when required to the wider Sense International teams in East Africa to ensure efficient implementation of Sense International programs.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Be responsible for all financial record keeping in SAGE and ensure the information is in line with Sense International Uganda budgetary guidelines.
• Participate in and contribute to budgetary planning meetings.
• Ensure that all finances are properly administered and monitored in accordance with Sense International Uganda’s Finance Manual.
• Prepare monthly financial reports for the Country Manager and finance team at Sense International UK, including expenditure against budget and ensure the timely provision of financial information when requested, e.g. end of project.
• Prepare information and accurate forecasting for input into the budget process.
• Be responsible for tracking petty cash, keeping appropriate records, and maintaining reconciliations.
• Closely monitor the bank balance, maintain bank records, perform bank reconciliations, and be the contact person with the bank for all financial matters (e.g. changing names on signatures etc.) and act as a signatory for bank transfers and withdrawals.
• Process and submit the monthly payroll, ensure all statutory deductions are accurate and paid in a timely manner, and perform other payroll duties as required.
• To provide financial management support to partners, e.g. helping them establish systems of bookkeeping and effective record keeping, and monitor partners to ensure compliance to the budget in line with donor regulations.
• Prepare quarterly financial reports and provide expenditure verification to Sense International UK and to donors on request.
• To execute all financial transactions to partners on a monthly basis, with the authorization of the Country Representative.
• Be responsible for annual returns and audit reports to the relevant Government Ministry.
• Advise programme staff on adherence to financial procedures and support the Programme Funding Manager on preparation of bids
• Be responsible for any internal financial audit systems in Uganda, as required.
• Liaise and support the Sense International UK Finance team with any external audits for Uganda, as required.
• Be responsible, in consultation with the Country Representative, for the procurement of goods and services, such as computers, furniture, vehicles, Information Technology, consultancy work, office supplies and stationary, ensuring that appropriate quotes are obtained and that invoices are paid without delay.
• Renew in a timely way all insurance premiums that are due (including medical insurance, office equipment insurance, car insurance etc.) and make payment of utilities and bills, taking into account cost effectiveness and available budgets.
• To maintain an asset list (with serial numbers) and ensure safe custody of office assets, including computers, laptops, contents of the safe, petty cash, camera and vehicle.
• To ensure that Sense International Uganda complies with all the relevant statutory requirements, including compliance with laws and regulations governing companies and NGOs, and those governing employee rights and payment of taxes (URA).
• Maintain records to meet legal and tax requirements, and safeguard all governance documents such as articles, memoranda, resolutions. Be responsible for maintaining, and developing where necessary, the administration of office systems:
o Filing systems
o Records management
• Be responsible for dealing with day to day IT queries and some technical requests (liaising with appropriate IT support services).
• Ensure effective logistics for programme work, e.g. well maintained vehicle for field work, suitable environment and organisation of meetings with external entities, booking of flights for staff and other entities, etc.
• Perform general administrative duties; postage, ordering stationery, etc as required.
• To maintain the physical working environment of the Sense International Uganda office, including safe upkeep and maintenance of office equipment.
• Be prepared to undertake any other duties within the role as required.
Qualifications and Experience
• Education to Degree standard or equivalent, in Commerce, Accounting and or Business Management or Business Administration.
• Relevant financial management qualifications (desirable)
• Previous experience in financial and administrative operations, preferably in a NGO setting.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Relevant skills and knowledge in financial leadership and operational management.
• Excellent team working skills and the ability to contribute to effective strategic and operational decision making. Good interpersonal and team building skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
• Proven ability to lead, develop, manage and motivate teams and individual direct reports.
• Proven ability to implement and monitor highly effective and efficient financial controls.
• Demonstrated ability to prepare and present accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with donor requirements, relevant regulations and legislation.
• Demonstrated commitment to ensuring that the finance and administration function works collaboratively with other departments to deliver organisational goals.
• Strong commitment to high standards of service delivery and customer care.
• Must be a Uganda national or with legal right to remain and work in Uganda.
• Sound working knowledge of Windows based software packages, including Sage Accounting systems, spreadsheets, e-mail, the internet etc
• Willingness to learn about deafblindness
• Ability to work to deadlines and prioritise workloads.
• A positive and proactive approach to all areas of work with a ‘can do’ attitude, in line with the organisation’s values.
• Personal integrity and discretion.
• Knowledge of in country funding of programmes.
• Understanding of Ugandan rules / requirements for NGOs to operate.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter with 3 work related referees to the address or e-mail below.
E-mails that exceed 2MB will not be considered.
Address: Plot 8 Kitante Close P.O. Box 12405 Kampala.
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.