Organizational context: is an International Development Agency working in over 50 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. ’s mission is to work with the poor and the excluded people in the world to eradicate poverty by overcoming the injustices and the inequity that cause it.
Uganda (AAU), a National Development Organization registered under the laws of Uganda and with a local Board seeks to recruit a suitably qualified, self-driven, result-oriented and competent person to fill the position of; Country Director.
Administrative Reporting to : Head of Country Coordination Africa 1
Functional Reporting to : Chairperson, National Governing Board
Responsible for : Senior Management Team (Human Resource and Organizational Effectiveness Director, Programme Director, Finance Director, Fundraising Director, Internal Audit Manager, Executive Assistant)
Section : Country Director’s Office
The country Director will provide inspirational, strategic leadership and guidance to harness ’s human, financial, partnerships, alliances and other resources in delivering the organization’s mandate in line with its values and established policies. Additionally, he/she will contribute leadership time to the wider civil society fraternity on shared undertakings that AAU is part of.
• Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Social Sciences or any other related field.
• Any other post graduate qualification is an added advantage
• At least 15 years minimum working experience in the social development field, 5 years of these must be in a senior management position
• 10 years proven track record in leading and managing institutions and development programs as well as either part of social movements or an active member of civil society
• In depth understanding of Programme development and delivery, influencing and policy work at state, national and international levels with and through partners or directly.
• Experience of managing complex change processes and relationships with donors, senior management team, state and non-state actors.
• Sound and up to date knowledge of development concepts, methodologies and techniques including demonstrated expertise in at least one specialist development field.
Competencies & Abilities (Esseintial)
• Strategic planning, prioritization and organizing skills
• Must possess diplomacy, negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peace building skills
• Ability to conduct politico economy, social analysis and researches
• Demonstrated ability to provide thought leadership to the wider Civil society organizations in Uganda and in the region
• Proven excellent Interpersonal and communication skills and a confidence to engage, network and represent AAU at public fora, media and donor
• Must be a transformational feminist leader.
• Proven excellent financial management skills
• Demonstrable conceptual, analytical, documentation and presentation skills
• Proven strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Ability to take AAU mission driven calculated risks
• Proven experience in making sound judgement in uncertain and pressurized situations
Personal Qualities (Desirable)
• Must be a responsible, selfless servant leader with the experience of providing action orientated and visionary leadership to a diverse team of senior staff
• Must be flexible, dynamic, a team builder and a believer in the cause of AA with a passion to challenge all form of social injustices at all levels
• with the ability to mentor, coach teams and be compassionate and empathetic
• Be solutions oriented and ability to multitask
• Ability to work collaboratively with diverse coalitions, alliances as well as independently
• Must be trust worthy, open to learning and independent minded
Other Attributes (Desirable)
• Respect within the civil society sector to maintain ’s critical leadership of certain processes within the sector.
• Inspiration and ability to think on their feet and keep moving and adapting to evolving situations while seeking to influence them.
• Impeccable integrity because of what we do and how we have put our heads out there for anti-corruption.
• Writing and analysis. Must be a person who writes and loves to write. With evidence of publications to show.
• Bold and courageous person
• The person should bring forth for ’s benefit a strong networking infrastructure from local, national, regional international/global level.
S/N Key Result Areas Duties and Responsibilities
1. Strategy development and implementation
Provide thought leadership in shaping organizational strategic direction, identifying and diffusing bottlenecks in the delivery of the organization’s mandate.
• Lead on the roll out AAU’s 5th strategy paper 2018-2022 and country specific policies and frameworks
• Implement and further develop Action Aid’s vision, mission, philosophy and principles in line with agreed corporate strategies and organizational priorities.
• Lead and direct the activities of AAU in accordance with sound management practices, AAI development policies and accountability.
• Ensure AAU has a well-balanced, well documented and efficient Programme that is responsive to the political, social and economic context.
• ensure well functional risk identification and mitigation capacity and system to attain the aspirations of the 5th strategy paper
• Provide conceptual and thought leadership in 5th strategy mid-term review and end of strategy review processes
2. Organizational and Corporate development
Lead in the development and maintenance of a good organizational and affiliate corporate identity
• Plan, develop and project ’s corporate image in line with vision, mission, value and philosophy as a lead actor in the fight for social justice.
• Ensure that AAU’s values and development philosophy are adopted by staff, partners and the key stakeholders.
• Ensure a pro-active communication strategy is followed with a sound relationship with media and stakeholders to manage the external impact of AAU’s initiatives.
• Actively contribute to ’s development as an international and regional organization
• Oversee the delivery of affiliate obligations to the Federation and maintain regular communication with Nairobi hub and other hubs as appropriate
• Participate in working groups, international platforms and encourage a corporate perspective among staff.
3. Board Governance
Ensure effective servicing of the National Governing Board and the General Assembly
• Regularly communicate with the Board Chair to update Board on strategic issues.
• Revise and provide input and recommendations into Board reports and documents, verify accuracy of information in the documentation.
• Participate in Board and Committee meetings and contribute to organizational effectiveness and corporate accountability.
4. Financial Management and control
Ensure that financial and other organizational resources are harnessed and deployed in a manner that best advances the values, mission and vision of Action Aid • Ensure the establishment of a sound financial management system for the effective and efficient utilization of organizational resources
• Review and approve final work plans ensuring efficiency, cost control and compliance to policies and procedures.
• Chair Resource Allocation Committee and ensure efficient use of AAU resources.
• Provide financial reports and progress reports to governing Board, AAI and statutory bodies.
• Ensure effective communication of financial performance to stakeholders
5. Leadership Development
Develop and continue to nurture a united Central Management Team working collectively to steer the organization to achieve strategic goals • Provide leadership to management of CMT and MAC meetings to ensure participative decision making
• Plan and facilitate platforms and events that encourage shared leadership and team building such as CMT retreat and solidarity events.
• Create an enabling environment for innovation and performance excellence for staff
• Set and ensure performance targets for Directors and other relevant staff are achieved.
6. External Engagement
Lead in building strategic alliances and represent the organization in critical forums and public spaces to advance the AAU’s mission
• Provide leadership and advisory to the wider CSO fraternity as required
• Encourage research with a view to improving the quality of Action Aid Programmes and Policy development.
• Establish, develop and maintain excellent working relationships with government, donors, partners, network alliances and civil society organizations.
• Participate in meetings and workshops of other organizations and partners
• Contribute to collective advocacy activities and knowledge generation in civil society
• Prepare meeting papers and presentations for strategic meetings
Guide the fundraising action of AAU to ensure adequate resources are mobilized to sustain its operations
• Establish and maintain a strong relationship with donors, corporate sponsors and supporters.
• Ensure that the fundraising mechanisms such as sponsorship Programmes and proposal development and submission are functioning smoothly.
• Ensure that information and submission of reports to donors/funders is flawless
• Ensure that donor servicing and compliance is effectively done
8. Donor, government and media relationships
Ensure that AAU develops, nurtures and maintains constructive relationship with media, donors and other critical players • Represent AAU in donor convened meetings and functions
• Prepare donor related communication and respond to support requests
• Engage appropriately in media interviews and shows projecting the mission of AAU at the pivot of all engagements
• Ensure that relationships and formal agreements with Government are maintained and updated
To apply please send your CV and cover letter with 3 work related referees to the address or e-mail below.
E-mails that exceed 2MB will not be considered.
Address: Plot 8 Kitante Close P.O. Box 12405 Kampala.
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.