UYONET’s core mission is to build, empower and sustain a vibrant youth network through advocacy, coordination and capacity building. Uganda Youth Network (UYONET) was founded to mainstream young people’s engagement in development and governance processes in the country. UYONET was formed in 2003 to respond to the increasing demand for a collective platform for research, training and policy advocacy for young people by young people with a vision of an Empowered youth population participating in governance and development processes.
UYONET as just launched its new strategy 2018-2028 and to support this exciting agenda we are seeking a talented leadership development officer to lead and coordinate all leadership programming and enabling us to continue to position young people to build a stronger youth movement in Uganda.
Location Head Office, Ntinda, Kampala Uganda
Benefits 21 days annual leave, health insurance and 5 days study leave.
Restrictions 12 month contract with a strong possibility of extension
Reports to Programme Manager- Leadership Governance and Rights
Direct Reports: Leadership development Associate,
Expected travel National travel will be required of about 15%
• Lead on the implementation of the UYONET leadership academy programme
• Lead on alumni engagement programmes
• Oversee leadership development initiatives as in line with the UYONET new strategy and donor commitments
• Lead on fundraising efforts for all UYONET leadership programmes.
• Donor and internal reporting
40% • Provide overall coordination of all programs under the Leadership Academy including scheduling and attending planning, evaluation meetings, social media coordination
• Develop comprehensive Academy programs and proposals to mobilize resources for its continuity
• Participate in the overall organisational design, planning, and execution of broad programs in relation to Leadership Academy
• Ensure timely submission of quarterly as well as all progressive reports related to the Leadership Academy activities to Donors
• Identify gaps in the leadership academy for which young people’s participation should focus for future planning processes to improve training delivery
Alumni engagement (20)
• Develop and alumni engagement strategy
• Managing the leadership academy alumni activities, ensuring that such activity contributes to the UYONET strategic objectives
• Advising on, implementing, and evaluating the alumni engagement strategy for continued and enhanced alumni engagement
• Coordinating efforts to trace and re-trace former alumni’s.
• Helping to coordinate alumni events
• Working closely with the management committee to enhance existing and develop new channels of communication and engagement with alumni, including social media
• Managing alumni records and working with colleagues to ensure effective data management
Internal and donor reporting 10%
• Liaise with programme, finance and M&E staff to collate relevant data and information for high quality narrative and financial reports
• Build the capacity of other UYONET staff to write reports
• Support on communications with potential donors for the leadership development in collaboration with the Executive Director
• Update and maintain donor management and reporting plan on a regular basis
• Work closely with the management team to contribute to annual, donor, activity and external reports.
• Work with Technical Adviser to create, develop and implement training tools, presenters, and processes for all training.
• Oversee the management of daily operations of training implementation including Hotel reservations, technical needs, food, etc.
• Collaborate with the Orientation and Welcome program teams to determine and prepare logistics, schedules, materials and specific training components for each program.
• Create and manage, supervise all work schedules for leadership participants .
• Develops and maintains liaisons with academy beneficiaries as needed to further the program's goals
Leadership development 25%
• Develop a plan for the development and coordination and facilitation of an extensive leadership and training program beyond the leadership academy
• Develops leadership training materials and leads leadership training event
• Establishes contact and solicits interest from individuals interested in providing leadership for UYONET leadership programming.
• Develops a network of resource persons and organizations that can contribute expertize and participate in the ongoing leadership and training activities of the leadership development.
• Maintains currency in the field of leadership development and training and updates leadership training materials as needed.
• Researches and establishes a databank of leadership training resources that can serve as a Go-To resource for staff members and volunteers leading programs on leadership.
• Serves as an informational source of information regarding leadership development and training for UYONET and its wider network.
• Perform any other duty from time to time that may be assigned to him by the Executive Director
• Other duties as required. Occasionally working on weekends and holidays for which time off in lieu can be taken.
Bachelors’ Degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies or any related field of study
Experience and Skills
• Experience in leadership programming and certificate in leadership
• An understanding of alumni needs and interests, and a creative approach to how these can be met
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to liaise with people at all levels, and of all ages and backgrounds
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including report writing, and writing for and understanding of different audiences and sensitivity for different cultural contexts
• Excellent time management and organisational skills, with the ability to multitask and prioritise as required to deliver tasks on time
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software, including databases
Understands the leadership challenge in Uganda and passionate about solving this challenge
Is knowledgeable in qualitative and quantitative techniques for measuring effectiveness and efficiency of training programs and in achieving established program goals.
• Demonstrates the ability to exercise sound judgment, identify problems and devise practical solutions for continuous improvement.
Experience of working in a youthful, multi-cultural environment
Knowledge of online social platforms for marketing and communications
Individual must be results orientated, highly self-motivated and have demonstrated analytical skills. The successful candidate will thrive in a multi-cultural environment as part of a rapidly growing and developing organisation and be personally
Committed to UYONET mission and values.
Visit our website http://www.uyonet.or.ug/index.php/get-involved/work-with-us to get detailed job descriptions and instructions on how to apply. Deadline for this application is 29th January 2018. Only CV s and cover letters detailing how you meet the criteria in the job description should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us by 31st March consider yourself unsuccessful